Monday 26 October 2015

Independent Arts practice - Key questions

Synopsis of study:

I propose to investigate 3 key questions which were identified during my’ Concepts and Contexts’ assessment. These questions are primarily centered around how I can build a sustained engagement between viewer and artwork. These questions are:

1) How do the visual elements interact with the spacial concerns of the work? The fragmenting of the picture plane has created work which the viewer can walk through, around, and view from multiple angles. For the first time, I am creating work with real physical depth. The images I have fragmented so far, were originally created as 2D images. I will consider from the outset how the visual elements I create can exploit the environment in which they will exist.

2) How do the visual elements interact with time parameters within the work (rhythm, emphasis, pace, trauma)? Animating my paintings/patterns has introduced the element of time into my work. This is also a new concern for my practice. I will consider how I can use rhythm, emphasis, pace, and trauma to evoke response in the viewer. I will also investigate how sound can be used as a means to reinforce or complement visual time based elements. The software I have used thus far to animate my work is limited in its capabilities; part of my investigation will include experimenting with more appropriate software platforms. I hope this will help me create more sophisticated compositions.

3) How does form, analogue or digital, impact on the reading of the work? So far in my investigation, I have used handmade marks/gestures, scanning these and translating them into digital images. I consider the work which ‘appears’ to be more handmade, to be more resolved at this point. However I will consider if I can effectively generate and use digitally generated imagery. This links back to my original MA proposal in which the question of how effective analogue and digital processes are at ‘connecting’ with the viewer was first raised. I see this module as an opportunity to explore this question in greater depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment