Thursday 7 July 2016

Forest walk animations & videos

Layering the 'Kate Johnson and the Wrong Moves' video over one of my 'Corpse' animations I liked the contrast of moment and spaces between the two clips. As the 'Kate Johnson' clip panned continually from right to left the 'Corpse' animation builds from front to back, receding into the picture plain. However the 'Kate Johnson' clip is far to 'busy', when seen with the 'Corpse' animation which also moves quickly the whole work becomes to 'noisy'. As a result I decided to video a series of short walks which could be used like the 'Kate Johnson' clip but much slower (not videoed from a moving car), and as a single shots.

I tried tracking shots and then fixed shots pointing directly in front of me as I walked. However the instability of holding a camera made the footage much too jerky, I feel this jerky movement detracts from the aesthetic of the environment and makes viewing uncomfortable. For this to really be effective I would need a steady-cam set up, however I  have decided not to pursue this further.
I much prefer the calmness of the fixed position videos, I feel these provide a suitable counterpoint to the fast shift of the 'Corpse' animations behind.

I generated many of these clips but I have only documented two here as I felt none had the potential to take further.

LLOYD EVANS - Forest tracking shot 1 from Lloyd Evans on Vimeo.
LLOYD EVANS - Forest tracking shot 2 from Lloyd Evans on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment