Monday 9 May 2016

Slide projection & Film




















Throughout my investigation I have been experimenting with both analogue and digital processes, within the independent Arts practice module my focus was on building digital animations using AfterEffects. The results of these experiments were mixed and the process of making these work was at times prohibitive to my way of working. The final animation produced for Letheringham Lodge was little more than two linked slide shows. This started me thinking about using 35mm slide projectors in my work. I have started collecting various models which I intend to experiment with in the studio.

I see the analogue technology of projection as a much more hands on tactile medium. I consider this being more sympathetic to the hand drawn organic imagery I am now developing.

I have also managed to get hold of 8mm and 16mm film projectors. I intend to experiment working directly on film alongside my experiments with slide projection. The work of artists such as Norman McLaren, Len Lye and Guy sherwin continues to play on my mind  and I see experimentation in this was as the next logical step in the development of my work.


Below is a link to an article on from the Tates's website about the medium of 35mm projection
www.tate.org.uk/about/projects/dying-technologies-end-35-mm-slide-transparencies/35-mm-slide-medium

No comments:

Post a Comment