Monday 9 May 2016

Corpse/Copse

In the way Auerbach may scrape off all of a painting at the end of the day, I have been considering what would happen if my layered drawings were worked back into with an eraser until only the faintest trace remained, an inconclusive document of process. Switching to charcoal allowed me to work back into and erase my images much more easily. I became aware that the trace on the paper was not the only evidence of process, during the making of this first work a large quantity of rubbings out and charcoal collected at the base of the picture. My first thought was to exhibit the 'empty' drawing suspended in the middle of an exhibition space with the rubbings out piled beneath.

Corpse - Charcoal on Paper



















The result was the above document of a process. I then began questioning how seeing the physical time based drawing process alongside such 'after' images could inform and alter the viewers reading of these empty works. The result was a series of stop frame animations I devised to be projected back onto the new empty canvas/screens on which they were made.


LLOYD EVANS - Corpse1 from Lloyd Evans on Vimeo.


LLOYD EVANS - Corpse 2 from Lloyd Evans on Vimeo.


LLOYD EVANS - Corpse 3 from Lloyd Evans on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment